Facebook 2012: The Latest on Everybody's Favorite Social Network by Infographiclabs
Twitter 2012: The Freshest Statistics on the King of Microblogging Services by Infographiclabs
How LinkedIn Works by Infographiclabs
Communication and engagement is much more than talking or writing and the popularity of YouTube is evidence of that. The availability of cost effective high speed internet access is making it easy for people to express themselves via video. Brands have seized on its power to be a viral media that augments traditional advertising media such as TV. YouTube’s advantage is it is always available and searchable. (it is the worlds second largest search engine after Google.
This capability has been displayed by the success of the Old Spice marketing campaign amongst many others.
Some facts and figures:
- 3rd most visited website according to Alexa
- 2 billion views per day
- It handles 10% of the internet’s traffic
- Average YouTube user spends 900 seconds per day
- 44% of YouTube’s users are aged between 12 and 34
- Over 829,000 videos are uploaded every day
- Average video duration is 2 minutes 46 seconds
Instagram on the surface appears very simple. It is an app for your mobile phone that allows you to take a photo, apply a filter to make it look awesome and then you can share it on Twitter, Facebook or to your email straight from the phone.
The headline about this social network was its acquisition for $1 billion by Facebook. This was despite the fact that it hadn’t made a dollar of profit. Despite this sizable investment it could be a very strategic and savvy move by Facebook that confirms its crown as the top photo site in the world. It also reminds me of Google’s purchase of YouTube for $1.65 billion in 2006 which proved to be a great decision in hindsight.
Instagram Facts and Figures
- Founded in March 2010 with the initial name of “Burbn” by Kevin Systrom and Mike Kreiger with the $500,000 in seed funding. It was launched in the Apple “app” store in November of 2010. In February of 2011 they raised an additional $7 million including an investor called Jack Dorsey of Twitter fame.
- Instagram reached the milestone of 1 million users in December 2010 (only 9 months after being founded and only 1 month after going live in the Apple “app” store)
- In August 2011 Instagram users had uploaded 150 million photos
- 10 million users were using the app by September 2011
- Version 2.0 released including high resolution photo capability
- The release of the Android app version saw 1 million downloads in 1 day!
- April 2012, Instagram reaches the new milestone of 30 million users
It appears that simple ideas are sometimes the best.
Twitter is a minimalist 14o character social network, Instagram is a simple social sharing photo sharing app and Pintrest is about pinning images and videos that you like to an online pin board.
Maybe it is evidence of a cry for simplicity and efficiency in a time poor society.
Pinterest was established in December 2009 and launched as a closed beta in March 2010. It is barely 2 years old.
It wasn’t until the beginning of 2011 that it reached 10,000 users. Its breakthrough moment appears to be the inclusion in Time magazine’s “50 Best Websites of 2011”
Some more Pinterest Facts and Figures
- December of 2011 Pinterest became one of the top 10 largest social networks with 11 million visits per week
- In January it was driving more referral traffic traffic to retailers than LinkedIn, YouTube and Google+
- Over 10.4 million registered users
- Nearly 12 million monthly unique vistors
- Most of the sites users are female
- 97% of the site’s Facebook “likes” are by females
- It is the fastest site in history to break through the 10 million unique visitor mark
It is expected that Google’s new social network Google+ will hit 400 million users by the end of 2012. It needs to be kept in mind that Google+ is more about being “core” to Google’s social web strategy as it aims to embed social signals into its whole web and search strategy as it aims to continue to be relevant in an increasingly social and mobile web.
Google makes it mandatory to join Google+ when you register for a Gmail account which really amounts to it being a forced membership. This non organic strategy means that itsengagement levels are extremely low at 3 minutes per month compared to Facebook at 405 minutes, in fact they are less than MySpace.
It must be also kept in mind that Google+ is the glue that connects Google’s other social and web properties such as YouTube, Android and of course search.
Some Google+ Facts and Figures
- It was launched on June 28, 2011
- Google+ reached 10 million users by July 14, 2011
- 67% of Google+ users are male
- Google “+1″ button is served more than 5 billion times daily
- It is gaining 625,000 users per day
- In less than one day the Google+ iPhone app became the most popular free application in the Apple App store
Source: Website Monitoring.com
Image by socialmediahq